Saturday, July 11, 2009

Oops. I Ranted.

Andrew asked for a book about the Fire Lord and his "underlings". I told him that any such book would be in the Palace Library (and therefore inexcessible for a kachina like me), but I can do my best to construct something.I'm not really sure where to begin, though. And I'm not sure if Andrew wants something more like history, or more like...military standings. I'll have to ask him...

So, Andrew, what would you like to know? *smiles*

For now, I guess I'll do a little of both. Maybe sometime I can elaborate.

As long as I can remember very well, I've lived here at the Palace. I had a home before this, of course, but after my parents died, Firefly and Flare and I were taken to live here, along with many other sparklets whose parents had died at the same time. I'm honestly not clear what happened there. No one talks about it, and every time we ask, we're shushed. It's one of those topics that you learn young not to mention.

I was always meant to be a kachina, ever since I was brought here when I was four years old. The Fire Lord saw potential in me along with about fifty other sparktresses that had been brought to the Palace with us. We were all put into kachina training, which was something like a extreme fitness hell. As old toddlers, we did sit-ups and push-ups and endurance exercises and flexibility exercises and all kinds of other things. Little by little, the class of kachinas-in-training were weeded out.

By age six, if you couldn't pass the kachina test, you were taken out of the class and put...I don't know what happened to the ones that weren't good enough. All I know is that Firefly and Flare and I (and most of our friends) always made the cuts.

By age seven, I could do five hundred sit-ups without cramping up, do a hundred push-ups before I broke a sweat, and run around the entire Palace fifty times before I got tired. I was the perfect kachina in training. By this time, there were only about twenty sparktresses left in the kachina class. I, followed closely by Flare, was the best kachina in class.

At age seven also, we began learning some basic routines. Now, don't be fooled by the word "basic". It doesn't mean "not challenging", it just means "short". There were plenty of high kicks and splits and things to do in the routines.

Up until this point, I've only covered the "human" aspects of kachina training. Now I'm going to go over some fire fairy bits.

Kachinas not only dance with their bodies, but with fire. Let me tell you that creating the ideal fire streamer is no easy task. It has to be just the right width, length, and color. (The color is determined by how hot the flame is. To be able to make an ideal flame, which is blue and red, I had to practice for weeks.)

In case you were wondering, we fire fairies can create fireballs, fire strands, fire streamers, sparks, etc. with our hands. We just loosely cup our hands, and make a fireball. Fire streamers are made the same way. By positioning our fingers right and using muscles that I can't explain to a human, we can shoot out a length of fire. Fire strands and ropes are the same. However, a true master can shoot fire from his fingertips as well as palms.

It's difficult to shoot fire from one's fingertips because that's where the fireshields are located. Since the shields are obviously fire-resistant, it's extremely difficult to make fire around them. The shield can be put up with our fingertips. We just hold up our hands, fingertips toward the enemy or approaching fireball, and shoot out a blue, force-field-like shield that can block the ball. (The shield has about the same diameter as big as a beach ball.) A fire shield can also be used to put out a fire or to cool a burn.

Ah, here I am, getting all side-tracked. I was supposed to be talking about Furierite history, but I ended up talking about kachina training. I was supposed to be talking about kachina training, and I ended up talking about how to create fire. I guess that's what you would call a rant. *smiles* I'm no good at posting. Oh well. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Life as a kachina sounds pretty grueling. I have a huge list of questions:
    Do fire fairies have organized religion?
    Do fire fairies have a hierarchical government structure?
    What is the difference between a fire fairy and a Furierite? Are they the same thing?
    How do fire fairies measure time?
    What is a good estimate of the total fire fairy population?
    Does being a kachina affect the lifespan of a fire fairy?
    Is there a different name for a male fire fairy?
    Do fire fairies have racial or ethnic groups?
    Do fire fairies have an official sovereign nation?

    Those are probably enough questions for now. You don't really have to answer them all if you don't want to, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to answer questions! I'll do my best.

    1. No, fire fairies don't have organized religions as a whole, but I know of a couple who worship gods. When I went to Jules (an exotic city semi-near Furier), I found out that the Julese people worship SEVEN GODS! Since then, I found out about two fire fairies who also worship those gods, but it's kept very secret. We're not supposed to worship anyone or anything but the current Fire Lord. If we hear of anyone worshiping something else, we'r supposed to turn them over to the Fire Lord. I'm stil trying to decide what to do about the two sparktresses who worship the Julese gods...

    2. Hierachical government structure? Hold on. I have to ask Coal what that means.

    Oh, yes, I guess so. The Fire Lord rules over Furir, and another town (called Brightwood). He makes all the rules and governs every aspect of our lives.

    3. Ah, a fire fairy is just, well, a fire fairy. A Furierite is someone who lives in Furier. "Furier" is an ancient word that means "fire" in our language. Furier is pretty much the city of fire fairies, but there are humans living here, too, and there are a few fire fairies who don't live in Furier. Does that make sense?

    4. We measure time the same way humans do, by the phases of the moon, so we have years the same as humans. We do, however, have five seasons. We divide your season "fall" in half.

    5. Oh, hmm...an estimate of how many fire fairies there are...in Furier, probably about 2,000 or so, in all of Jeolotoe, 10,000 I guess.

    6. I don't think being a kachina affects one's lifespan much if at all. If anything, I think it makes us healthier. On the other hand, if some kachinas-in-training come along who are better dancers than we are and the Fire Lord decides to get rid of us, I don't really know what will happen to us. We might very well be...well, disposed of. In that way, I guess being a kachina *does* affect our lifespan.

    7. Yes. Male fire fairies are calle "sparkers" and female fire fairies are called "sparktresses".

    8. We have ethnical groups, yes. The fire fairies in Jules have darker skin for some reason, and their eyes are slanted. The fire fairies living in Brightwood almost all have red hair. In Furier, we have peach skin and rosy cheeks with just round-shaped eyes and al different hair colors. Red is still the most prevalent hair color.

    9. I guess our nation is Furier. Yes, Furier. It's known as "the fire fairy city", and our Lord is always a fire fairy. There are humans living in Furier, too, though.

    I love these questions! If you have any more, feel quite free to ask them, or if you didn't understand any of my answers, just let me know.

    ~Ember

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I asked Coal about how many fire fairies are in Furier, and he said that there are about 5,000, not 2,000. I was right about there being about 10,000 in all of Jeolotoe, though.

    I've also noticed a few typos in my answers; sorry about that.

    ~Ember

    ReplyDelete